Friday, September 28, 2007

Allison fashion tips (please see disclaimer in small print at bottom of this posting)

I have the good fortune to be sitting in Taos, NM at this moment working on this blog post. I love it here so much, lots of natural beauty, good art, quaint buildings and unusual stuff to buy if you're in the mood. I am preoccupied with that at the moment actually.....

The last two trips I have taken I find myself absolutely stumped when it comes to packing. I simply have no idea what to pack. My wardrobe is so....so...incoherent right now, it does not hang together. I'm not sure which came first, the fragmented wardrobe or me forgetting how to pack but I'm pretty sure the two are closely related.

If a woman wants to look chic and 'together', yet easygoing, what does she pack for a long weekend in a semi-hip yet laid back place? A place where she may be doing a little hiking but at the least walking around a lot?? What does she wear on the plane that's comfortable and casual yet conveys she cares a little bit about her appearance? And, hiking boots.....clunky and space guzzling, ya hate to wear 'em on the plane but it's the sensible thing to do. Ugh, my head hurts.

I'm sure I don't know the answer exactly but a few thoughts occurred to me. I decided I needed a plane uniform. Of course, once I thought of that, I thought, "I need a long weekend in a semi-hip yet laid back place" uniform. The question is, what is this uniform to be? What is my 'look' and how do I reduce it to a uniform?

I'm thinking jeans with simple white long-sleeved shirt for the plane (it is so dang cold on those things). A very nice belt and some unusual but comfortable low heel shoes. A friend who is into fashion recently told me you go mostly cheap on the clothes but expensive on the accessories. That could be shoes, purse, jewelry, jacket, things like that. That makes sense to me.

That means I only need to buy.....shoes, purse, jewelry, and a jacket. Oh, GREAT!!!

Well, after poking around in Taos' boutiques and little shops, I decided to add my own little addendum to Debbie's good advice. Shop boutiques. I think you can make a lot of impression with one or two little pieces from a boutique that sells unusual stuff. And the ones here abound in hip little variations on a T-shirt of all descriptions. Lots have unique detailing. And not that expensive either.

Since I don't want to spend much on clothes but I do want to look 'together', I think I have to go with uniforms that consist of jeans, cotton shirts, etc. But, I am going to be looking for those few accessories that make the difference. Found the perfect shoes in a little shoe place here, only $208. Maybe to the Sex and the City gals that would be a bargain, but to this DSW shoe gal, that's hard to swallow. But they would look very cool and I do tend to wear stuff I like until it literally wears out.

Hmmm, well, I think the theory is sound even I'm having a hard time putting it into practice.....I'll work on it....

(Editor's disclaimer: Allison's fashion tips are in no way to be construed as authoritative, relevant, or even fashionable. Her views are hers alone, please check with your personal shopper before attempting to implement any of her ideas.)

No comments: