Thursday, August 23, 2007

A success to celebrate

I have loved northern New Mexico for several years now. It became my fantasy to buy a place in Taos and live there. It's a blend of funky and upscale. It has this Whole Foods in miniature called Cid's. In the aisles you see people who look like they are camping out in the wilderness mingled with art connoisseurs.

You know, I could run a bed and breakfast there, I thought. I've gone there at least once a year now for 5 years. Last year I made my annual sabbatical there and we met this fascinating couple who were real estate developers of the green sort. He was 20 years older than she and they were very intelligent and successful.

After visiting with them, it suddenly came to me that a b and b would bore me to tears within a few months. And, just hanging out in a place like that with nothing purposeful to do would make me a restless maniac.

I began to understand that what I wanted was a way to spend time there but have something to do while I was there of a business nature. You know, I could work a half day or something and then go hiking or just sit and soak in the amazing New Mexico light and color. Voila, the idea to have a business where I could base in my beloved Austin but spend chunks of time elsewhere was the ticket. YES! Eureka, that's it!

Of course at the time I had no idea what that could be although I've always experienced strong entrepreneurial urges. I gave myself a 5 year window to be sitting in Taos conducting business.

WELL, this morning it occurred to me that I could, this September, actually go there and work on my business! I am starting this website for women 45+ and I have more to do to get the business up and going than I can shake a stick at. It's not to the point obviously where my company would pay for it, rats!, and I couldn't spend 2 weeks there, but I could literally go for a few days and get some of my work done.

I so often don't stop to celebrate my successes (consequently I often am much harder on myself than is healthy because I only notice the things I"m not as successful at as I would wish) and have resolved to be better at it.

So, I am giving myself a big pat on the back today for having shaved 4 years off my timeline!

No comments: