Sunday, September 30, 2007

Taos Travels

I just love Taos, it calls to me! I went by myself this time and thoroughly enjoyed poking around the galleries, museums, back streets, and surrounding areas. What is it about walled yards that is so appealing....and such a great backdrop for the flowers that never look like this in Texas! And literally, the mountains are visible from right in town, heavenly!






Went to the Harwood Museum there, great old building full of a variety of art some early modernist, some from the first art colony of Taos in the late 1800s. For some reason this portait made me sit down and study it. I could somehow see the real person even though it was a somewhat stylized image, something about her eyes.



This photo just speaks to the colors there I love, the shadows, the adobe, and the flowers! Something about adobe is so human and warm....and it makes colors pop.



As I've gotten older, I find myself much more intrigued by modern art and sculpture. I don't know why that is, maybe the fact you have to study it and it's open to interpretation. Life becomes less black and white, more gray, and perhaps it's that same principle at work for me re: art.

Taos has more than its fair share of sculpture gardens.....



One in particular is Lumina Gallery. Besides this incredible sculpture garden,





Felicia Ferguson has a beautiful house/gallery full of high quality contemporary art. Every window in the gallery frames an amazing view of the mountains and surrounding countryside (hers is sans highway:). Like this one.....



I begged her to hire me and let me live in the broom closet :)

She has just remodeled a couple of casitas on the property which is a few miles outside of town. They are beautifully decorated and reasonably priced. And just imagine walking out into the sculpture garden with your morning cup of coffee!

I wanted more time, but maybe it's best to leave a place when you still want more. That way you have the pleasurable anticipation of the next visit and it remains fresh and vivid in your mind and heart.




No comments: