Monday, June 18, 2007

Of demi-tasse and Marie Antoinette

If books were indicators of my growth rings, like a tree, my dishes are even more telling of my evolution. The passing seasons....both my life timeline and the seasons in each year.

I admit to having been addicted to collecting dishes at one point in my life. In book terms, it was about the same time period as I was reading about gardening, poring over Southern Living house plans, and buying antiques. All very pleasant activities I must say.

I have English ironstone with octagonal, dark green trimmed plates that I like for spring and summer because of the lovely little purple, yellow and red bouquets around the edges. I have Mason's Pink Vista which I LOVE! Cranberry colored pattern on ivory with ivy and vines entwining around the plate, ruffled edges and in the center, an English Lady and Lord strolling in a lovely park. Beautiful at Christmas.

Then there is the Johnson Brothers Friendly Village in autumn tones, the covered bridges and woodland scenes are fun to use in fall and winter. Not to mention the odd platters and plates that i loved because of their color and/or shape.

As I was packing these things all weekend, I still had strong feelings about them. LOOK at this DARling little soup tureen with the cunning little lid with its cutout for the ladle! How about the dark green edged octagonal vegetable serving dish? And the large footed bowl that is so festive at Christmas with a fruit salad in it!

However, my reaction to my china (yes my name is Jane Doe and I am a dishaholic....) was flat. It is gorgeous.... white with gold trim and very colorful, hand painted flowers all over. It's antique and I have lots of it. Lots of odd and serving pieces which tend to be valued more than basic pieces. I have paper thin tea cups with an MA spelled out with flower garlands inside (stands for Marie Antoinette I was told). I have a tiny demi-tasse set with the accompanying cream and sugar. I have a number of bowls. And reticulated plates meaning the edge has cutouts.

It sets a spectacular table no doubt about it. But somehow I don't think I love it anymore.

It's not a reflection of my taste anymore. It hurts me to say it because I collected it so lovingly. Scoured antique shows for any piece I could find. The thrill of the hunt!

But it's just too much. I'm not into spectacular, it would have looked great in my Southern house full of antiques and flower arrangements. That house never became reality though and it belongs to a different time. We are headed in different directions, my china and I.

What to do? I couldn't quite bring myself to decide to sell it. But I think I will hold it out from the other boxes in case I decide to sell the bits like the demi-tasse and the Marie Antionette cups and saucers. I could do that I suppose and keep the more basic pieces.

Hmmmm....I don't know. I just know I don't want stuff around me just because I have it. I want to love it, to have only things that give me a little thrill when I see them around me.

Not cluttering things that suck my energy by taking up space without giving anything back.

No comments: