Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Gum to my shoe

You know how when you step on a piece of gum and no matter how hard you try, you can't quite get it all off? You think it's gone and then it feels sticky. Once again, you work at it, think it's off and there is that annoying slight stickiness. Drat!

My dream of this little life experiment of mine was to take hardly anything with me when I go to my new digs. It was a fantasy of having only my sweet little doggie, my guitar, bed, clothes, computer and a few books....oh yeah my iPod and SoundDeck too...

WELL! First, I have things going in about 4 different places, but as I'm packing, I'm realizing the above is a fantasy. Life is complicated in far more ways than just stuff.

There are things like bills, documents that you need to have on hand (passports anyone?), health insurance info warranty/technical info on digital cameras, computers etc. I do like to cook and have a favorite skillet, do I leave that behind? And what about my Santa mugs and plates that I love pulling out around Christmas? They are the kinds of things that give me a little lift and make me smile when I use them :)) I guess I can do without them for a year....I'll be that much more delighted when next we meet.

Then, there is this buisness idea I will be working on. I have some books and other resources that will be helpful with that. Then there is the paper that may get generated from all that. I'll need my printer. What about volunteer work I do, there is paper and stuff associated with that. Geesh!

So from taking only my bed and a nightstand, I'm thinking I'll take a small table I have to serve as a workspace. And a small armoire will serve as storage. A filing cabinet to keep those documents in. Still not that much but more than I want.

Our lives are just too darned complicated. How does that happen? Even a tiny bit of gum on your shoe is sticky.

No comments: