Thursday, May 31, 2007

Taking the plunge

Well, if renting out the house, putting stuff in storage and moving to another part of town to share a house with someone isn't enough of a change, I did go off the deep end and give notice at work. Next Friday, June 8 is my last day. This is feeling pretty danged real all of a sudden.

The rent from the house should help me cover a lot of living expenses so at least I can have a few months to regroup and see what's next.

It seems as if so many women I talk to who fall into the broad category of Middle Age are in some kind of 'state'. They want to make changes, they are restless, they want more meaning in their life, they find themselves increasingly unwilling to put up with a job just to have a job. There is a lot of angst about this.

I think life was easier when we all weren't trying to self-actualize. You know, putting food on the table, a roof over the head, an occasional vacation. I guess just surviving economically does take energy, no doubt about it, but when it all has to have meaning and bring fulfillment etc etc in addition to.....well that is really hard work as well. And it calls for a level of self-knowledge that is hard won.

Part of my little experiment here is to see just how necessary all the 'stuff' of a typical life is. What do I do differently without a house to take care of day in day out? What stuff will I completely NOT miss in a year's time? Without all those externals to distract and preoccupy....well, what then? Where will my attention go?

I'm about to find OUT!!!! YIKES!!!!!

No comments: