Sunday, October 21, 2007

This time last year


I was out at Pedernales Falls State Park this afternoon. Hadn't been there in over a year due to a profound disgust/fear/freak out concerning snakes. My last trip involved 5 different snakes one of which was a rattlesnake and, I'm sorry, but I don't do snakes. Especially out of fear for my dear dear doggie, Cooper....but we braved it today and didn't see a single reptile (oh thank you thank you thank you).


Anyway, it is so lovely out there, beautiful green blue water, in pools, rivulets, cascading over long stretches of limestone (geologists, don't bust me here, if I'm wrong just chalk it up to taking poetic license), buzzards gliding and wheeling overhead, deep blue sky and wispy clouds that I call mare's tails. It's just nature at its best.

It got me thinking that this time last year I had a Big Adventure. For me anyway. I will get any amount of sweaty, dirty, and smelly during the day. BUT, I really really like to clean up at the end, or preferably before the end :), of one of those days. The camping thing I've done but only overnight with a car, plenty of vittles, and some access to water. In other words, I'm a bit of a girl when it comes to spending nights in the great outdoors.

Last year though, I resolved to do something that scared me a little. So, I took a 5 day back
packing trip to Canyonlands/Escalante Utah. It was with an outfitter but I went by myself which was fine as their were several singles in the group. I discovered a girl can do without hair product or even a shampoo, wear dirty clothes more than once, gain weight despite carrying a 20 lb pack for 10 miles over hill and dale (cooking was EXcellent!) 5 days straight , and climb up the slick, almost vertical sides of small mountains. (However, note to self and any other interested party, baby wipes, bring baby wipes).



Talk about glorious nature...the forms and shapes
are simply amazing. And, it emphasizes just what a speck in the universe we are. How long do you think these rocks have been there? We aren't even here for the blink of an eye, are we? That's a good thing to remember.







Here is what greeted my eyes every morning from inside my tent. I didn't even have to move, it was just there. It's hard to get up on the wrong side of bed when you start your day with a sight like that. That brilliant red only sticks around for a minute or two at most. It only appears as the sun just rises over the horizon. As quickly as it appears, it fades into a more sedate beige-y pink-y.


It's nice to relive it, it really was a great experience and it kicked off my year of living momentously. FYI, that's what I've mentally been calling my 50th year. As you read my posts, you know it's been quite a year, but this was a fitting beginning!

Nature is such a rejuvenator, it really helps put things in perspective. Every time I'm in the great outdoors I feel renewed!

1 comment:

PRahman said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful images which, at least vicariously, allow us to tap into the grandeur of the beauty you experienced.