Friday, August 31, 2007

How old is too old?

We all probably can remember grandmothers, aunts and friends of the family who in their, ahem, senior years would appear in what like inappropriate make-up, hair or clothing. Where are the 'rules' for 'appropriate' written anyway, yes I know. But, come on, we all know what I mean. Long hair on an older woman is frowned upon in some circles. Tight clothing or plunging necklines, whatever.....behind their backs we roll our eyes and and exchange raised eyebrow glances.

Lately I have wondered if the apparent obliviousness of the objects of those glances tends to begin setting in in mid-life. I have had the urge recently (and followed through!) to paint my toe-nails unorthodox colors...iridescent blue-green! FUN! I'm getting lots of attention with it (uh oh, is that what my subconscious is craving??).

Then, since I am now a laptopper, I needed a laptop bag. A friend happened to show me her new bag that was very fashion forward and I decided I needed something more FUN than just a black bag or even a sleek, classic red leather tote for it.

So I got one that is part black hide (with hair on, naturellement!) and black fabric with red roses on it. It's vaguely oriental looking and it has red cord handles. Here's the best part.....the inside is...Chinese red silky fabric! How fun is that?!? (www.jtotebags.com).

To me it's all good fun. I remember a poem by Jenny Joseph:

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

There is more, but you get the drift. It just seems to me that life is too short and uncertain not to do little things that add a little fun and giggliness to one's days. Fun hasn't always come naturally to me so maybe I'm making up for some lost time. Makin' up for lost time with iridescent toe-nails and a glam laptop bag!

No comments: