Thursday, July 19, 2007

Getting the hang of the coffee shop thang.....

Yesterday, since my guitar lessons are up close to my old haunts (I NAILED Etta James' At Last in my lesson, just so you know :), I went up early to miss traffic, check out a new Farmer's Market, and, gulp, give the coffee shop thing another go.

I definitely have not completely shed my attachment to the old 'hood, but I built so much of my extracurricular activities around convenience to my neighborhood that I hate to completely let go of that since I'm only out of there for 9 months or a year. Although, who knows in that time, I may be off to Tibet or somewhere :) I anticipate that I will more and more be hanging in the new 'hood as I check it out, need to keep those fresh perspectives coming!

Anyway, there is a great little development a few blocks from my house called the Triangle, one of those new Urban oases with apartments, lofts, shops on the ground floor, greenspace etc. It was full of people yesterday, checking out yummy goat cheeses from some small goat dairy, beautiful vegetables, homemade breads, honey from Round Rock, and all sorts of other items to make a Foodie's heart sing! A band was setting up for later and the little restaurant and coffee shop were both full of folks socializing.

After purchasing some bison jerky (it was a very eclectic mix of products doncha know!), I went into the new Flipnotics up there (great little place if you haven't checked it out) with my book Crossing the Chasm and read for over an hour. A techie friend of mine suggested I read it for reference to this business idea I'm developing.

Well, that is a classic of sorts and so maybe it was just that I felt it was weighty enough not to worry about if I was doing something sufficiently important to merit taking up a seat at the local coffee shop :) I really began to get in the groove.... I began to feel I was one of the crowd! And it was fun to keep one eye on the groups around me.

I mean, twenty-somethings actually weighing the merits of this fund over that fund! I couldn't believe it. I've decided the younger generation is very demoralizing if I think about them too much. That's a topic for another blog entry but, honestly, they know so much more than I even realized there was to know at that age. Shake it off Allison.....ok....

I'm VERY excited because Dell let me know this morning that they have shipped my new laptop. NOW, that is where the rubber will hit the road so to speak! That has the potential to complete my transformation into a full-fledged member of the Coffee Shop Officing Crowd! It will be a completely new experience! I mean, I will be sipping lattes and cleaning out my email with the best of them very soon now.

If I really really want to step out, I will get some headphones so I can tune into my iTunes. I'm scaring myself with the level of coolness I could achieve...:)

1 comment:

AnnC said...

You think you're scaring YOURSELF--what do you think you're doing to your parents--HA!

And your feelings about the coffee shop are interesting--and, knowing you, rather surprising! Somehow I think if I had a laptop (and knew how to use it!) I'd have no qualms at all about sitting in the coffee shop and doing whatever I chose to do with it--apparently I may not understand the problem!